Einstein has said that the hardest decision we have to make is to decide whether the universe is friendly or hostile. What we don’t realize, is that whatever we decide, we will be right. And since we can decide on something so important, imagine the power we have to decide for ourselves. If you think about it, it’s really quiet liberating and refreshing to know that you can change your life for the better, as long as you decide to do so. Decisions we make are ours alone. The universe does not conspire against or for us. Now that you realize that the decision is your own, what will you choose? Will you choose grumpiness, fear, misery or joy, the strength to strive for life and happiness? Happiness is a personal choice, probably one of the most serious choices we seek to make, only because it defines our whole life.
Without doubt, we are living in strange, different and changing times. Some people think of it as a “tough”, “scary” and “worrisome” period. Personally I consciously choose to use other words to describe it, in my book words have meaning. Depending on the choice of word we automatically create the respective feeling that leads to respective actions. When we describe a situation as “tough” or “bad”, we automatically take a defensive stance. Observe your body posture when you feel you are threatened: usually our muscles become tense, we slouch in such a way as to protect our vital organs such as our head, our heart and so on –and all our attention is focused on the threat and at nothing else around us. However if we choose to describe the same situation as “different”, then we are giving our brain the order to think in a more creative way, thus giving us the opportunity to weave and adjust so that we can be on guard and look around us for solutions, support and means of escape.
So for this “different” period we are all experiencing, I can propose the following:
- Decide that you want to be happy. Do so every day, as often as you can, with all your might, and for no reason at all. Just decide on it and you too will be happy. Does it sound difficult? As with all new things one wishes to learn, practice makes perfect. Consciously choose every day and every hour to be happy. Make it your priority. Each time you may find yourself in a dilemma or have a decision to make or solve a problem, simply ask yourself what will bring you (me) closer to your (my) goal(?)
- Practice the following. Yes, yes… I know, every new beginning is not easy, but everything is in our mind. Our brain is merely a muscle like all others. As long as we use it and exercise it, the more it gains strength and obeys our wishes. Breathe as you would breathe, laugh as you would laugh, talk, stand still and look at the world like you would when you feel at the peak of your happiness. The more you practice this, the faster it will become part of your natural state.
- Become the most optimistic person you know! Have you noticed what happens to you when you are happy and content? (I mean what happens to yourself directly). Because you know how your happiness affects others: they will ask you and you will have to “apologize for” and “excuse” your happiness. The others will become uptight and will probably describe you as indifferent, irrelevant and “living in another world”. They will gradually exclude you from their conversations only because you are not supporting their misery and are not available to them to “suck” out your energy and your good mood. So let’s see what really happens when you have chosen to be optimistic. Your brain will function better, you will have an appetite to do things, and be more productive. You will attract other positive people, make sound decisions, and create favourable opportunities for yourself and for those surrounding you. You will respond well to circumstances, and have greater clarity of mind and power to overcome difficulties, over all you will feel carefree and enjoy life. That is why it is extremely important to think of happiness as a natural state.
- Use science to your avail (remember that is it purpose!). Neuroscience provides us with another reason to practice being happy. Every positive thought, action, grimace, posture and so on is merely an order we give our brain that initiates an electric pulse to the core of our brain cells, our neurons. This particular pulse travels along the length of our neurons, reaches the dendrites and seeks contact with other neurons thus creating a sequence of thought. At the same time, it stimulates a neurotransmitter at the end of each dendrite which in turn releases a substance called serotonin. Serotonin is that substance that makes us feel happy, it is the one that helps us see the forest and not the tree and provides us with clarity of thought and spirit. Moreover it creates that urging feeling to face any challenge. If I haven’t convinced you yet, I’ll tell you this: It is the substance found in all antidepressants!
- Do not surrender your power! Remember. Power is found within you and stems from yourself and you are the sole administrator of it. Do not grant it to others. Every time you let yourself off guard and let yourself get influenced by gloominess, worries, and anxiety you yield your power to others. Every time you let bad news affect you or you get upset when your boss reprimands you or when your partner belittles you that is when you surrender your power to others. Don’t do it! All of us have the power to decide and chose what we want, how we want to spend our lives and how we want to feel. The decision is ours. And only when you realize that the source of the power lies within you, will you find the strength to make it a reality, overcome obstacles and difficulties and finally manage to live the life you have dreamed of, as you rightfully deserve to.
So I call upon you to release the power you hold within you and make the decision to be happy, practice as much as you can. Whatever may happen, as many problems as you may encounter, difficulties, insecurities or ups and downs, all will be overcome!
The power is within you.
So what do you say? Are you ready to take the plunge?